Saturday, October 11

Holiday Boutique Invite



I have to lament (and I admit boast) a little bit about this Holiday Boutique Invitation that I designed for an upcoming Boutique Show I'll also be participating in. It was a collaborative effort by myself and my sister Vanessa. I petitioned Vanessa for some artwork that looked boutique-ish, because I did NOT have time to sketch up something myself,and nothing in my art portfolio was appropriate for this design. She searched out an adorable little sketch of a girl from her art reserves, and it fit my idea perfectly! I pulled it in to Photoshop and used some hand-painted effects, and wa-la!





A fun, quirky, boutique-style Invitation that looks custom-made. I played around with a few different effects and backgrounds, and the overall layout was pretty simple, so I threw together a couple different versions. The client requested "something holidayish," so I tried to steer my backgrounds that way, and then put together a design that might be more towards that venue, which only turned out a little boring and generic. In retrospect, I suppose that the art sketch looks a little young and fresh (and perhaps a little immodest!:) for what she had in mind. I'm bummed that the design she chose, this one:



is not very original looking or very eye-catching. Sigh. I wish I could meet the client's needs better, but sometimes it is just hard to steer away from one tangent or idea and branch out on another that suits the client's ideas better. AND is still original and creative and beautiful! Darn it. Hopefully I can think of a way to freshen up the ornament design so that I won't be disappointed with the overall result . . . (And Char, if you're reading this, mum's the word, since you do know the client and all!) :)

5 comments:

Yatesfam said...

Your invitations are so cute! Good work! I am totally wishing I could come visit you right now. It is supposed to snow in the valleys today...YUCK!! I love this time of year in Phoenix. so jealous! Enjoy it ;).

ashley said...

Oh my gosh, I love that sketch and then the watercolor looking color you added to it. Adorable! You guys have some talent in your family! I love your designs Alicia......you have such a good eye!

Bree said...

I LOVE your idea with the sketch--totally boutique-ish. Too bad she didn't pick it!! Your designs are so cute, would you mind if I submitted you to Tip Junkie??
Oh, and I'm so glad you played along with the tag, that picture is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I love your invite! You are so creative Alicia! It's so sassy!

Romney Family said...

You have such great talent!! I love them!!! Jocenlyn's blessing dress is so adorable. Your mom did a great job on it!!